Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Nicki Loeven


A picture of the Northern Presidential Mountains and the Cog Railway from the summit of Mt. Washington.
Hi LAKES crew! I hope everyone is enjoying summer in Menomonie. Since my summer doing LAKES in 2015, I graduated from Wells College with my B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and started graduate school. I am starting the 4th year of my Ph.D. at Dartmouth in their Molecular and Cellular Biology Program in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology. My thesis project in Jim Bliska’s laboratory is studying Burkholderia cenocepacia lung infections in Cystic Fibrosis. This may seem very distant from the environmental biology work I did during my summer at UW-Stout, but my LAKES project piqued my interest in microbes and I’m always grateful I took this opportunity.
Life in New Hampshire is great. In the last year I’ve done a ton of hiking and this winter I learned to ski! To the LAKES students this year, I wish you all the luck in your projects. You truly make a difference with the work you are doing. Work hard have and have a blast!

This is my PI, Jim Bliska, and I on the summit of Mt. Washington. How’s that for lab bonding?!






No comments:

Post a Comment