Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Jennifer Pantelios


This past May, I graduated from Beloit College (woohoo!!) which is located in Beloit, Wisconsin and earned my Bachelor of Science in Environmental Geology and with minors in Political Science & Biology. As of now I am living in Chicago and five days a week I commute north to the Lake Forest Open Lands Association. 

The Open Lands Association is a really awesome independent organization that has restored several plots of land to be native prairie, wetland, savanna, and woodland ecosystems. My job consists of removing aggressive, invasive plants that obstruct the diversity of flora within an ecosystem, several of which are garden escapes including Valerian and Buck-thorn. The organization does its best to use little herbicide and to remove plants through techniques of hand weeding, mowing, and dead heading. Additionally, I'm working on an educational pamphlet to educate the public on Bur Oak Blight, which is a fungus attacking Bur Oak trees due to increased rates of precipitation (which is caused by anthropogenically induced climate change). I am having a blast working outdoors amidst the plants and am learning a lot! 

In the photo, you can see I made friends with a snail who's sitting on my thumb. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at JenniferPantelios@gmail.com
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment