Sunday, July 14, 2019

10 Heads Are Better Than One


        When I first received acceptance into the LAKES program, one of the components that most appealed to me was the foundation for interdisciplinary research. The idea that large-scale issues cannot be solved via one approach is incredibly important, as the collaboration of many minds is needed to solve problems effectively. I have found that understanding the problem of pollution in Lake Menomin is based on so much more than just scientific roots. There are other inputs to consider, in a myriad of forms. One form of input that I found especially interesting in relation to my and Madeline’s research is that of the geography team. In regard to our proposal for a floating wetland, I think their work with archives and their intent to understand Menomonie’s historical elements definitely comes into play. Delving into how people have connected with the lake in the past, both recreationally and emotionally, is critical when considering an installation of an interactive wetland. Additionally, I think Ivy and Esther’s work with GIS relates to our biochar research. With biochar, I think GIS could be helpful in terms of long-term projections. With placement of the product over a large scale, similar to the one of Lake Menomin, I believe mapping out these areas would help to increase the effectiveness of nutrient uptake by the biochar. Categorizing things like habitat types and nutrient flow via GIS mapping would allow a tool like biochar to reach its full potential. Even if these projections are hypothetical, I think it would be worthwhile to understand what results biochar could produce if it were actually placed in a larger body of water. Overall, in terms of skills gained, I think I have gained more confidence in myself, both from working in a team and also from conducting parts of research independently. I have also become more familiar with chemical laboratory techniques, SRP and TP concentration analysis, and have expanded my public speaking skills through interviews. As poster development and research conclusions draw nearer, I am growing more excited to present our findings to the public.

Enjoying Lake Menomin

Biochar Treatment

Sunset at Wakanda


No comments:

Post a Comment