Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Andrew Hutchens



After an action-packed graduate school application season and a superb final year as an undergraduate, I am relieved and glad to begin pursuing an economics PhD at North Carolina State University this fall. LAKES provided me with excellent (and fun) exposure to economic research and academia/research as a whole, and summer 2017 was an invaluable launch pad for gearing up to apply to and be successful in graduate school. Unlike that summer of 2017, however, I have spent the majority of this summer taking a small step back from being a student. After a month at home in North Miami Beach, I spent a few weeks in Lima, Peru visiting family. I also embarked on a harrowing 24-hour bus trip to my family's home village in (very) rural southern Peru, a trip which, besides allowing me to observe the beauty of the Peruvian countryside, firmly confirmed that I am very much a city boy. I haven't completely retreated from academic work though, as I have been working as a research assistant for Dr. Eric Edwards at NCSU since late May, with every new task fueling my excitement for graduate school even more. It'll soon be time to head up to Raleigh, but until then I'll be enjoying the comforts of home for a little while longer. Wishing everyone all the best!

Best regards,
Andrew Hutchens

No comments:

Post a Comment