Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Lisette Solis


I am realizing as I write this that it’s been four years since I was an economics student participating in the LAKES program with Chris. The summer I spent in Menomonie was one of the best I had during my undergraduate experience. I learned so much about research and collecting data, and it was the first time I had the opportunity to live somewhere far from home.
I caught the travel bug after my summer in Menomonie. I spent the past few years living between New Zealand, California (where I’m from), and Central America. This gave me the opportunity to try different types of work and meet a lot of wonderful people.
At the start of this year, I came full circle and moved back to the San Francisco Bay Area. I recently started a job in the data department of a nonprofit called Fair Trade USA. We work certifying goods, primarily coffee and produce, from around the world as meeting labor standards. I manage the data from our yearly audits and get to learn about all the different farms. On the weekends, I am enjoying life in vibrant Oakland.
I miss all of you in Menomonie, and hope all the LAKES students this year are learning and enjoying as much as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment