Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Kirsten Ondris



Hello again everyone! I am an alumni of the LAKES 2018 group. While I miss the canoe trips, bikes rides, and fish fries of Menomonie from last summer, I have had the opportunity to travel to different parts of the country and world since then. After graduating with my civil engineering degree from the Cooper Union this past May, I spent a week hiking Acadia National Park in Maine, traveled through different cities in Europe, and met relatives and connected with my heritage in Slovakia with my family. Over the course of my travels throughout May and June, I was able to grasp history and landscapes that stretched far beyond my time and I look forward to new places to see and knowledge to gain in the future.

In terms of my post-college life, I continue to live in Manhattan and work as a project engineer with eDesign Dynamics, an engineering firm specializing in water resources management. My role is to analyze and coordinate green infrastructure research and development projects throughout New York City to optimize storm water management through ecological alternatives. I am very happy to maintain a research component in my daily work, as research is what I fell in love with during my time with LAKES. During my senior year of college, my experiences with LAKES propelled me to apply to several graduate and fellowship programs, which was a challenging but rewarding process, especially when I received the news that I was a recipient of the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship. While I did not commit to a graduate program this time around, I plan to further my education in the upcoming years as I continue to better understand my passions related to water and agriculture.
I give my best wishes to all the current LAKES students and mentors for new discoveries, experiences, and friendships.
Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment