Monday, June 17, 2019

Gaining (and losing) some wisdom

My first week in Menomonie was one of the most eventful weeks I've had since my Freshman year orientation. I arrived at the dorms on campus full of excitement, anxiety, and a really terrible toothache. Being from the East coast, I was unsure of what to expect from a small town in the midwest; but I have yet to be disappointed. Almost immediately after arriving, I could feel a sense of community within the city and between our LAKES group.

The first few days were filled with group adventures and getting a sense of what our projects would be in the weeks to come. Unfortunately for me, my toothache was getting increasingly worse, and I was met with the reality that I needed to get my wisdom teeth removed as soon as possible to avoid an infection. Although I spent my first weekend in Menomonie with a pufferfish-like face and the inability to chew, I would still consider it a success.

I am beyond grateful to have the opportunity to work with nine incredible women to make a difference in this community. In the following weeks to come, my research partner Jacey and I will be analyzing the effect of Section 319 of the Clean Water Act and the Conservation Reserve Program on surface water quality in Wisconsin. Overall,  I am so excited to see where this summer will take us, and I'm eager to see the results of our research.

No comments:

Post a Comment