Sunday, June 16, 2019

LAKES First Impressions


             To officially kick off this summer’s collection of blog posts, I thought that I would say that the slight apprehension I felt due to my late arrival could not have been more unnecessary. It has been my absolute pleasure to experience both the undeniable warmth and unique personalities of the program’s students, supervisors, and the locals of Menomonie. Prior to coming here, I did not know a week could be so jam-packed with new experiences. Each day has a solid combination of hard work, good times, and the beginnings of my own personal growth as I go further beyond my comfort zone. Since I consider myself to be a naturally introverted person, it has been quite the change to constantly surround myself with people who come from different backgrounds but share the same passions. To realize there are others who are firmly committed to promoting conservation, taking environmental action, and supporting the diversity and inclusion of others has been one of the most positive aspects of the internship so far.
            I also believe that splitting research time between separate teams and group discussion is an effective method for promoting a more integrative approach to the sciences. I have found that receiving feedback from students and mentors who are not members of the biology research team has been helpful, as it has allowed me to consider a myriad of perspectives. Within my own research team, I have found the collaborative efforts of mentor and students to be exciting, with greater development of our focus as we dive into the scientific literature. Finally, within Menomonie, I have found that the spirit of the town is unlike that of Cincinnati, and I am eager to spend more time here. I look forward to the remainder of the program, and hope to foster a greater number of both professional and personal connections.




No comments:

Post a Comment