Monday, June 17, 2019

Made it!

Menomonie is quite a bit different than where I grew up in Chicago and where I go to school in the Twin Cities. The smaller town feel of Menomonie is something new to me, and I have really appreciated it. I love that there always seems to be some event going on in town, whether it is the farmers market, co-op dinner, or the pie and music in the park. Menomonie is very welcoming and is really beautiful. I was expecting Wisconsin to look similar to Illinois which has a flat and pretty uninteresting landscape but Wisconsin has beautiful rolling hills and lakes that I love to walk by everyday. I am really looking forward to exploring more of Wisconsin in the coming weeks.

The work environment with LAKES REU has also been something I have never really experienced before. The atmosphere has been very interdisciplinary and welcoming to all ideas. I feel like I have learned so much from the other students and mentors already. I especially enjoyed going to the farm the other day and learning all about a job and way of life that I had never really seen up close. I learned a lot about the science and complexity of farming. I also got to drive a tractor and hangout with some cows, which was a lot of fun! I am looking forward to working with this group of students and mentor on our exciting research. I know it is going to be a fun and rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment