Sunday, June 23, 2019

Data, STATA, and Metacognition

It has been exciting to see all of our research projects develop over the past week as everyone is defining their interests and goals for the summer. We have been here for just two weeks, but it already feels like home. I am looking forward to what the rest of the summer has to offer!

For our research project, Emily and I are analyzing the effects of the Conservation Reserve Program and Clean Water Act Section 319 on the phosphorus levels in the watershed using an economic approach. This summer I am excited to learn how economists approach research and the tools they use to analyze data. Being in an economics major I have taken many classes that focus on conceptual ideas, but this research experience will teach me hands-on skills in analyzing data. Already Emily and I jumped into data analysis using a software program called STATA. My mentor, Zach, has been teaching us how to effectively use the program to organize and summarize data and create graphs. We will soon dive deeper into more complex analysis to potentially discover a relationship between the policies and water quality. As the summer progresses I hope to continue to develop skills in this program and become very fluent with the software code.

Throughout the summer I also hope to engage with the other projects and follow along with the other teams’ research. It is really cool to hear how the water quality issue is being addressed using various perspectives. Even though my research is computer-based, I have the opportunity to join other teams on their adventures. This past week I went canoeing on Tainter Lake with several of the other women to identify the different types of lakefronts present. It was interesting to see natural fronts with many diverse plants versus well-groomed yards leading right up to the lake. From this, we can note which lakefronts are prone to polluting the lake from run-off. I hope to continue to take advantage of these opportunities as they come to enhance my research experience and learn more about the water quality issue from multiple perspectives.

Sunset on Lake Menomin


No comments:

Post a Comment