Sunday, June 23, 2019

Hi, I'm 21 years old and I still throw fits.



Two weeks doesn't seem like a significant amount of time in the grand scheme of things.  But, two weeks is already a full fourth of the time I'll spend here in Menomonie, and so much has happened.  The LAKERs all went to the farmers market on the first day of research.  We loaded up our backpacks with asparagus, bread and leafy greens to make into lunch.  When it came time to eat, I threw a fit and insisted we all sit around the table, "as a family."  Now, we're sharing so much more than meals, (although we're still coming together around various foods and beverages).
  We've learned so much about and from each other.  We're sharing life experiences and advice and trading ideas about our research.  I'm grateful to be able to learn how to foster and develop relationships with nine other incredible individuals.  I am absolutely looking forward to continue to learn from, with and about my little family.

As far as the research goes, the most significant thing I've learned so far is the whole project is so much more complex than I originally imagined.  The more I learn, the more questions I have.  I don't even think I know all of the stakeholders in the area yet.  With every old interview transcript I read, more pop up.  Eight weeks is short time to come to a community, work to understand the complexities of the situation, and draw a couple of conclusions.  I hope to learn how to bring all of the stakeholders together.  I believe in the power of community building, and, from what I understand, Lake Menomin can be a catalyst for relationship building.

No comments:

Post a Comment