Saturday, June 23, 2018

A New and Familiar Landscape



Arriving to Menomonie this past Sunday afternoon, I was met by heavy storm clouds and the sweet smell of Wisconsin rain. I have lived in Minneapolis for ten years, but I grew up in Vernon County in the Driftless Area of Wisconsin. Every time I come back to this part of the state I feel like I am coming home. Having previously lived in the area, I feel fortunate to experience a space with folks who have never been to the Midwest—where we are able to learn from and with one another about the new landscape. As a group, we have already explored the area on foot, by car, tractor, boat and bike.
I have had a lot fun this past discovering the unique qualities of Menomonie’s culture and comparing them to my childhood home of Viroqua, WI, my hometown of Minneapolis, MN and my new home at the University of Vermont in Burlington. Although the physical landscape and some cultural aspects of the area are familiar, there is so much to be learned about the community and practices here in the Red Cedar River watershed. Already, I have found that there is so much to be done about the water pollution problem that the area faces that goes beyond the elimination of excess phosphorus.  
Coming into the program, I was excited and interested to hear that all of the LAKES students were women who come from places across the country. As students, we come from a variety of educational backgrounds including engineering, geology, environmental studies, human geography, economics and natural resource planning. Learning and working together in this interdisciplinary program has given me an entirely new perspective on the opportunities for research and future academic prospects. In one short week, I have learned a lot from these brilliant, kind and thoughtful women.
            Our mentors and the whole LAKES admin team have welcomed us with open arms. All of the faculty members are encouraging, helpful and show so much kindness towards us. It is a truly unique opportunity to work in a community where there is constantly an opportunity for open dialogue about the problems facing the area and the county and the ways in which we can solve the pressing issues of our time.

Driving the tractor at Dan's farm 

Pontoon ride on Lake Menomin! 

Comparing soils 

No comments:

Post a Comment