Saturday, June 23, 2018

Building Cultural Capital

When I hear the word capital, I immediately think “equipment, machines, buildings, input in the production function denoted by K”. Two years of theoretical econ classes have conditioned this knee-jerk reaction from me by emphasizing such definition of capital repeatedly through lectures, readings, and problem sets. So on Monday morning when Dr. Paulson asked the eight of us what we think cultural capital means, I was totally confused and disoriented. Maybe it means an input in the “culture” function? Wait, what would a “culture” function even mean?

This fog of hopeless thoughts cleared from my mind when he began to explain that cultural capital is what we build from having positive interactions with people who have different background from ours. Cultural capital enables us to adapt to different societies more easily and, most importantly, learn from them. I could hear my econ 101 textbook yelling that no such type of capital exists, but I was completely fascinated by this refreshing concept. As I’m reflecting back on this week, the idea of cultural capital seems to perfectly describe my time here at Menomonie so far.

Before arriving at MSP airport, my anxiety was fueled by friends and family who worried about whether I could take care of myself in a small rural town because I have lived in urban southern California most of my life. I did not know what to expect since I have never been to the Midwest or heard anything much about the region. As June 17th inched closer and closer, I restlessly wondered about what the town and LAKES REU people will be like, as well as how different (and hard) everything might be.

I shouldn’t have stressed out so much because from my first week here I’ve realized that “different” is not synonymous to “difficult”.  From engaging with different people at Menomonie, I’ve not only found a strong support system but also opened myself up to learning beyond the classroom setting. Other LAKES students have been kind, humorous and open with me since day one. Having such positive relationships with them allowed me to learn so much about the different parts of U.S. they are from and their academic interests/studies (most of which are nonexistent at my college). All the mentors are very enthusiastic and welcoming to us, and group meetings with them taught me how it is becoming increasingly important to tackle lake pollution and other environmental issues with an interdisciplinary approach. On Wednesday we met Dan Prestebak, John, and other conservationists whose generosity and support for us showed through their willingness to prepare a special farm tour and dinner. Listening to them talk while strolling around the fields together, I was able to grasp a better understanding of the hurdles to developing an effective nutrient/water quality policy.

The civic and work environment here has surpassed any expectations that I could have had. Although Menomonie is different, it was not difficult for me to feel belonged because there’s such strong sense of community as well as encouragement from the entire LAKES team and the town. There is no exclusivity unlike at my college, and LA, where people are often cliquey. From this inclusive and positive environment, I have learned so much and already feel more developed as an individual than I was a week ago. I am lucky to be a part of the LAKES team and am excited to begin working with my partner Elle on our research projects!


                                          (Elle and I at Dan Prestebak's farm)

No comments:

Post a Comment