Saturday, June 23, 2018

The Adventure Begins

My arrival to Menomonie last Sunday felt like the last stretch in race against the dark bubbling clouds that had been sweeping the horizon for the last few hours of my drive. What I thought would be a relaxing Sunday drive turned into a classic example of unpredictable Wisconsin weather. A powerful wind pushed against me as I opened the car door and dashed inside through the torrential rain. From the first mad dash to shelter, I knew I was in for an interesting summer.

 Being a long-long Wisconsinite, I expected Menomonie to be like any other Wisconsin town. To an extent I was right, the quintessential Midwestern elements are there; there’s a Culvers, Kwik Trip, the basic essentials. However, I quickly found that Menomonie has its own unique character which manifests itself in the music that mysteriously wafts through the streets (even when they are empty), the historic buildings, the lake which carves out the city shape and the local towns-folk. I have already been enjoying the local community through visits to the Farmers Market, coop and the menagerie of local coffee shops.

 Although I am only a few hours from home, I do see some differences and similarities between the two areas. I come from a small community from the south eastern edge of the driftless region, so Menomonie’s uneven topography, mixed forests and fields of corn feel familiar. My hometown was once based in agriculture, but has since become home to a new wave of professionals who commute to the rapidly expanding city nearby. This has encouraged large developments of cookie-cutter housing. In comparison, this area of the state feels like it has been under less pressure for fast development. I have enjoyed the historic character of the downtown and campus buildings.

 The feeling of exploring a new community is amplified by being around my fellow researchers, many of whom have never been in Wisconsin before. Their observations and questions about the state add a new perspective to the familiar scenery. That perspective is what makes working in this team so exciting. We are a diverse group of eight, with backgrounds in everything from economics, geography and natural resources to engineering. We are also mentored by professors who come from distinct fields. During these first few days, I have enjoyed the group discussions immensely. It is exciting to see the potential for our range of perspectives to complement each other. Working with an inter-disciplinary team I am already learning so much about different ways of approaching problems. As the summer progresses I am eager to continue learning and to dig into research!

No comments:

Post a Comment