Tuesday, June 26, 2018

First Week Impressions

As a born and raised Chicagoan I come from a large, busy city; however, the small town setting is not foreign to me. This upcoming school year I will earn my bachelors degree at Beloit College in Beloit, Wisconsin. Like Beloit, stores and restaurants are within walking distance in Menomonie. It is wonderful to have access to so much fresh, local food and I have appreciated being greeted by passersby in town. One woman and her daughter let me cut in front of them at the Menomonie Food Market CO-OP since I had fewer items to buy. So sweet!  Already I have been impressed by the Tuesday night music and the Wednesday farmers market in Wilson Park. I look forward to exploring the beautiful bike routes and attending more fun community events this summer. The work that I will be doing in this LAKES REU program has me even more excited.


The work environment of this internship program is more interdisciplinary than I had been previously expecting, which is very exciting to me. I love to learn, so being able to learn about everyone's projects will be a great way to give me more insight on the actions we can take to restore Lake Menomin. I think it’s great that LAKES REU has brought in students with differing knowledge and work experience because of this. Also, I appreciate that the LAKES REU mentors and staff reflect the same excitement my co-interns and I have. I feel that this is a great group I will be working with this summer and I am honored to do environmental work with such knowledgeable and kind human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment