Saturday, June 30, 2018

Fuel Cells For the Future


My courses back at school consist basically of all qualitative and learning hard facts; sometimes a lot of math and sciences which I really enjoy.  But I haven’t been around many people would want to focus on social sciences.  Coming to the LAKES program I was surprised that out of the eight of us, two of us are engineer majors.  I guess I have been exposed to all engineers and health majors.  I personally have never taken a social science class.  So, coming here and seeing that the majority of us are into social science research is a new experience for me.  Most of the things they are researching go over my head, because I have just never thought of things like that.  I think it is pretty cool to see how all of these topics truly relate in the real world.  I came to the LAKES program wanting to explore more of the environmental engineering research side, but I wasn’t sure what exactly that meant.  

I have had the pleasure to be able to work alongside Dr. Matthew Kutcha.  We have been trying to find a way to link what my engineering classes have taught me and geology, which is short version of his field.  The goal of our team is incorporate our interests with that of a microbial fuel cell or an MFC.  An MFC is either a single of double chamber system that uses the metabolism of bacteria to harvest electrons that are emitted as a result of the metabolism.  Usually the electrons are harvested and used to power small scale electronic devices like simple LEDs.  Larger, two chamber MFCs are sometimes used in water restoration processes. 

At the end of last week, Matt and I had come to the conclusion that my project would basically be a bunch of coding and wiring and circuitry because I had a wider background in that than I do with anything else he had a background in.  I was going to use an Arduino to power a temperature and voltage sensor to take various data points of various MFCs.  Then I could have to code either a website or an app to act as an interface for the data points to show up.  Then just to use a little bit of the MFC I would wire up some kind of motor to show that the voltage coming from the device was real.  Because, at least to me, coding isn’t the most entertaining and I wanted to do something fun with the project.

This week Wednesday, I was lucky enough to sit through a lecture given by one of the biology professors here at UW-Stout.  He was giving us a deeper background in microbiology, which I have never had.  The only biology class I have ever taken was an introduction to ecology a few semesters ago.  Before coming to the Menomonie, I read a few articles and watched a couple of videos on the various fuel cells to get the gist of what was going on inside of one.  But after sitting through the lecture I was able to pinpoint what I didn’t know about them.  During the lecture I came up with a new project proposal. 

Now, my plan is to use our single cell MFCs to see which kind of sediment environment can make the most amount of power.  The environment that produces the most amount of power I will create a power harvesting device to power a motor. My goal was always to try and link power harvesting and circuitry/coding.  But I guess my first idea pretty much drowned the power harvesting idea out.  I have done some research on power harvesting in MFCs and learned that sometimes plants can help to create more power at a faster rate.  So, one idea I had was to see which plants (that we have access to) could help create a larger voltage drop over the MFC and from that plant, which sediment environment could also help.  By sediment environment I mean, which limiting nutrient (be that phosphorus, nitrogen or iron) would cause the largest impact. 

I am pretty excited to start building these MFCs and start the testing process.  For the past week I have been reading journal articles to get some background information.  Which, don’t get me wrong, has been pretty helpful to figure out what I want to go into for my project.  But I am so excited to actually start the testing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment