Friday, June 22, 2018

Getting Started

On Sunday, we had the official start to our LAKES REU experience. I was the first to move into the dorms, which was fun because I got to meet almost everyone as they got there.  We kicked things off by getting pizza at Lucette's Woodfire Eatery, which is a place I always like to recommend to visitors, or those who are new to town. This year, our group is made up entirely of women, which I think has helped to expedite the bonding process, and I'm sure we will not want to leave by the end of the summer!

I grew up in Minnesota, and although Wisconsin is different, I still feel at home here, which is part of the reason I was so interested in the LAKES REU. Since I currently live in Menomonie and go to Stout, I did not have as much to adjust to compared to my colleagues. Since the seven others are from around the country, including places like LA, New York, and North Carolina, it has been neat to hear about their hometowns and how they compare to Menomonie, and also what drew them to this REU.

As far as settling in, I know the town pretty well, so I have been trying to show people around and tell them about the different spots I enjoy. After talking with the girls, it seems like everyone enjoys the town, which I am glad to hear because we have a great little community here. Personally, the biggest adjustement is living in a dorm again for the first time in three years, but I have really loved seeing everyone explore Menomonie for the first time. I am very comfortable with the work environment here, and it has been nice to get to be around my Professors during the summer, which I don't usually get to do.

I am excited for the summer of research ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment