Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sharing What You Love

Growing up, I was exposed to a lot of creative activities, my parents were very interested in teaching me how to cook, draw, write, read, sew, etc. When thinking about what I wanted to write for this weeks blog that would focus on my hobbies and how they relate to and inspire my research, I was somewhat stumped on exactly what I woud write about since I have a variety of hobbies and interests. However, when I think back on some of my earliest memories, they always involve homecooked food, or getting to watch my parents prepare to cater a banquet for work. 

Throughout my life cooking has been very important in my household, and I have viewed it as an art form, one that I want to practice and perfect. I always admired how my family loved food and paid careful attention to its preparation, but I also loved how the whole point of working so hard to make something delicious, was to share it with others. I think growing up so exposed to this mentality surrounding cooking and entertainment fostered in me several qualities, such as creativity, attention to detail, and patience, that translate well to research. 

Since I study political science, history, and economics, I am constantly challenged to come up with and carry out meaningful research projects that could result in new approaches to policy. For most of my projects I have become very interested in education policy and how we can help to reinvigorate our public school system. Anytime you are coming up with policy, especially if it is involving how our children are educated, you need to pay careful attention to all the implications of your policy, and how exactly it will be implemented. 

I love to hone my skills as a researcher, because I see it as an art form, much as I do with cooking, only it has a very important place in advancing society. The skills I have learned from cooking and other creative hobbies have helped me to realize that part of being a good researcher is not only being dedicated to your craft, but being willing and able to share your research with others, which will hopefully result in positive impacts for your community, much like we will have the opportunity to do by the end of our time with LAKES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment