Sunday, July 8, 2018

Learning and Wild Rice and Why


I don’t like when I’m not doing anything. When a was a child, I remember the times I sat at the kitchen table staring at my mom and telling her I was bored. She’d respond with some things I could do and I would eventually find a way to keep myself occupied. Even when I visit home from college, I think my mom gets a little nervous, knowing that she is going to watch me go up and down the stairs and drive here and there to stay busy. When she sees me getting antsy, she says, “It’s okay to just relax you know.” I make the time for that too, but more often than not, I will do what it takes to stay on the move- to feel like I’m learning something and doing something new.


During the school year, I usually don’t have a problem keeping myself busy. Reading through textbooks, writing lab reports, or studying for the next test takes up most of my time. I typically don’t mind the work because my classmates and I know we are all chugging through it together. The collaborative environment and rigorous workload have helped me to enjoy my education even though it feels overwhelming at times. One thing I’ve realized about myself through my studies is that I really do like to learn. Even if one of my classes didn’t particularly peak my interest, I’ve felt happy that I was able to force my brain to think in a different way or figure out that there is a more efficient way I can study. The hours I’ve spent behind a desk have felt rewarding because the hard work has paid off.

On the other hand, I sometimes look back at my college experiences thus far and think, “Why did I spend so much time studying for that one class?” When all a semester’s work is summed up into a single letter, it is difficult to defend why I had exerted so much energy to study when I could have possibly spent my time in more enjoyable ways. Outside the classroom, I love to explore. Whether it’s walking through a museum or taking a jog on a nature trail, I enjoy being on the move. One of my biggest struggles thus far in my career path has been trying to find a way to bridge my interests of focused interpretation with exploration.

I feel that my experiences thus far with the LAKES REU has been a great way to live through these two worlds of desk and field work. Last week, my team and I traveled up north to seek out wild rice beds, which we were successful in. While my team and I have spent time outdoors and will continue to study wild rice beds via canoe, the majority of our time has been dedicated to really thinking about what we want to understand about wild rice growth and how we can use our studies to better the Red Cedar Watershed. This analysis beforehand has allowed my team and I to really think hard about what information we are seeking. My school experiences have given me the skills to analyze numbers, but has not focused on reflection to understand why what I was learning was so important. I like to solve problems. However, my research experience thus far has allowed me to understand that defining the problem could be just as, if not, more important than actually solving the problem.

This past weekend, I went on a camping trip with two other females in the LAKES REU and I feel that the experience connects well with my understanding of what it means to learn. When we were hiking up bluffs along the Mississippi River, we would walk for long periods of time but then stop and ask what kind of tree we just passed or question why that one patch of soil was much sandier than the rest. It felt great to get to the top of the mountain, but I enjoyed understanding what I was passing and what wildlife surrounded me more. I understand now that it is important to stop for a moment, on a hiking trail, when I’m bored at home, or when I’m studying late at night and just think. As much as I love to feel like I’m continuing to move forward, I want to spend more time taking a breath and really asking myself why.

No comments:

Post a Comment