Tuesday, July 26, 2022

We're All in This Together

For an issue as complicated as phosphorus pollution, interdisciplinary research is necessary to bring about applicable solutions. Interdisciplinary research uses the skills and knowledge of each person on the team to mutually strengthen each other's work. With this approach, everyone's work is more thoughtful and well-informed than if we all stuck to just one field. As phosphorus pollution is a biological problem, having a firm understanding of those elements has been key to me being able to talk to people in an informed way for my anthropology work. Likewise, understanding the realities of the political and social landscape in this area is critical to inform the STEM research so that we can understand what kind of solutions are likely to be adopted. This balance between the disciplines on the LAKES REU team has been critical for my work here.

For one, this past week I collaborated with Laura, one of the biology team students, to get started on a GIS project I might want to use for my final poster. My research centers around the Colfax Red Cedar Preserve and Recreation Area and how that space can be used to engage the community in discussions about phosphorus pollution. To get a sense of what other public lands there are around water in the Red Cedar watershed, I want to create a map that specifically highlights those areas. Since Laura has a lot of experience with GIS, I asked her where to get started. She pointed me to some DNR resources that show all their land and suggested some spots to look for maps that might have already been created. As I continue to work on this project, I’m sure I will be reaching out to her again for guidance and support.


Photo: Ferry Pond as seen from the Colfax Red Cedar Preserve and Recreation Area

As another example, I’ve also been working with both Nidia and Phoebe on the psychology team. With Phoebe, I worked with her so that I could get some questions put on her survey. I wanted to get a broad sense of how much people in the area know about the preserve and what kind of stuff they want to see there. Considering the limits of my ability to interview a broad spectrum of people in the community, conducting a survey seemed like the best way to find the answers I’m looking for. With the expertise of the people on the psychology team, I was able to refine my questions to make sure they were clear enough to get useful answers. Additionally, I used a connection I made with a local reporter during my research to help Nidia spread the word about her survey. With this mutually beneficial type of interaction and teamwork, I think all our projects will be more well-rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment