Sunday, June 30, 2019

Research With A Touch Of Inspiration


        I would like to begin this blog by bestowing gratitude upon my furry friend, Alise, who assisted in the composition of this post at Tabby’s Catfé by sitting on my laptop keyboard. Writing in a room full of cats makes for a pleasing work environment, and allowed me to adequately reflect on what it means to incorporate research into a well-rounded summer experience. I have thus far stumbled upon many favorite things to do, including spending time with friends, visiting new places around town, and working in a variety of scientific work spaces. One of the days I felt most engaged with my research this past week was in the greenhouse, preparing plant samples of duckweed, cedar, and rushes. I felt that working in an interactive space facilitated constructive communication within my research team. Combining lab work with field work has really allowed me to embrace numerous scientific disciplines. I was also able to realize that science should be approached with an open mindset, and that complex issues are difficult to solve if you do not consider input from everyone. 

        Spending time in Menomonie has inspired me to care more about my research and its consequent impact, as the people that live here are directly affected by the aquatic health of both Lake Menomin and Lake Tainter. Additionally, visiting both dairy farms and listening to farmers’ perspectives was enlightening, as I became more informed on methods of sustainable agriculture, conservation, and providing healthy habitats for animals. I believe this directly relates to my research as it is critical to consider how nutrient pollution can be influenced by local operations, and how ecological health can be improved as a result of direct action. Finally, spending time with the girls helps me to understand how much we as individuals can contribute to large-scale problems. We all bring something different to the table, and we can bounce ideas around while still having fun. Now that research is in full swing, I can’t wait to see what the remainder of the summer brings.


Greenhouse Sample Preparation


Boat Adventures


Baby calves at Alfalawn Dairy Farm


No comments:

Post a Comment