Saturday, June 18, 2016

Both the work and civic environment have exceeded my expectations. As a mathematician, it’s exciting to work on projects that have the potential to help out a whole community of people and not just focus on solving abstract equations in a white walled room. It’s extremely helpful and interesting to work with others from different disciplines to get insight on other aspects of the problem I might never have considered. It’s also really inspiring to see the whole community support this project especially since everyone is interested in the research that could potentially help the community. 

I come from a midsized city, but adjusting to this town has been really easy since everyone has given us such a welcoming reception. The town and surrounding area is very beautiful and I’m excited for the chance to get outside and explore the trails, which I don’t really get a chance to do in my hometown. My mentor and peer collaborator have also been friendly while also pushing me to be a better mathematician and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer holds!  

-Mackenzie Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment