Wednesday, July 2, 2014

"The more I learn, The more I realize how much I don't know." - Albert Einstein



The first question posed to us this week was "is individual research still necessary in the age of technology?" My answer to that question is YES! Especially from a geological and biological background. There is so much about this world that we still do not know enough about or know about at all and the only way we can begin to discover and learn more about these things is through research. This past weekend when I was going over the things that I have noticed, learned, and discovered I realized how much more complex the phosphorous problem was in the lake than I originally thought. This lead me to what seems to be the reoccurring theme in my career as a young scientist:   

“The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”

― Albert Einstein 

 
Initially in my studies this frustrated me more than anything else. Because each time I seemed to find the answer to various problems and questions I had, the next question or problem that would arise seemed to be more and more difficult to answer. After a few years of dealing with the frustrations of never seeming to be able to come up with a complete and final answer I can see a 180 degree change in my mindset when it comes to solving these difficult problems, such as sourcing phosphorus contamination in the 1,890 square mile Red Cedar River watershed. I no longer am frustrated to the point of wanted to call it quits with each new problem I am faced with, instead it is what drives me because with each problem and question I answer that leads to new problems and questions I realize that I am one step closer to finding an answer. 
Blake Lea
Probably a little early for this, but I have also officially started my countdown for my annual BWCA trip after looking through past trip photos this weekend as well....45 MORE DAYS!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment