Saturday, June 28, 2014

2 x 2 = 4 ...and other new discoveries


Another week has passed and I’ve learned a few things… 2x2 = 4… the sky is blue… grass is green… sometimes water is too… But I digress.

After a lot of researching, I now have a better mental map of the political bodies involved with protecting Lake Menomin. While there is still much to be learned about state, county, and local governments and nonprofits as well as local farmer’s councils, I at least have a basic understanding of how the pieces fit together. Probably the hardest lesson I’ve had to learn so far is that ethnography research starts out slow. It is useless to jump into interviews if I don’t know the right questions to ask, and it would be rude to ask someone for a second interview simply because I hadn’t done my research the first time around. I feel like I’m waiting in limbo as we wait to get the official permission to start interviewing. Then the real work will begin as I begin setting up interviews and attending any public meetings related to the lake.  I will probably be in over my head soon enough, but for right now, it feels like the calm before the storm.

Over the past week, I have also learned more about the city of Menomonie. After a lot of wandering, I now know a variety of feature spots like the farmer’s market, co-op, brass band concert area, music at the library, and every available practice piano on UW Stout’s campus (I’m still searching for one that’s in tune). I’ve seen Lake Menomin from a variety of angles, including beautiful sunsets and not-so-beautiful algae-filled scenes. I expect to see more of the lake in the upcoming weeks: the good, the bad, and the algae…


No comments:

Post a Comment