Thursday, June 25, 2015

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi


Sunday's adventure featuring Eniola (top left) and Lisette (top right). 

     There is so much that I have learned already and there is so much I have yet to learn. Most of my learning so far has taken place in the lab. As I have been getting more experience in the lab I am now becoming comfortable doing things on my own, which is a great feeling. My feeling of independence makes me feel more confident in my work which is a necessary quality for a scientist.
     I have learned so much through my coworkers as well. I am happy to be working beside Lanna! Her and I each have different strengths and we make a brilliant team. We have also been working with two Stout students who have been so incredibly helpful in showing Lanna and I the ropes. The four of us do field work on Tainter Lake and Lake Menomin. We work as a team and keep it fun to avoid making 7 hours of water sampling seem like a chore. This week has reinforced what I have learned before, that working with great people makes working seem less like work.
     I can't wait to learn more lab techniques and start working on side projects with Dr. Nold. There are many opportunities available this summer that could expand my knowledge and competency in biology and applied chemistry. I hope to take advantage of these opportunities to make the most of this experience.
     My ultimate goal of this summer is to decide what my plan is when I complete my undergraduate degree next spring. There are many ideas floating around in my head and my goal is to choose in time to apply for graduate school in the fall. This means that I have to learn more about myself to make this decision. I know for sure that I am not done with school yet, although I am not sure if I ever will feel that I am ready to stop. I love to learn and I want a career that allows me to never stop learning. Learning about myself and what I really want my future to look like will undoubtably be the biggest challenge I will face this summer, however, I am happy to take it on and am excited to see how this experience will influence my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment